2011년 10월 5일 수요일

Reflection on the Shawshank Redemption

October 6th,
Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption starts with the narrative of the Red. Strangely the subject who Red talks about is not himself. Red begins with the story about his life, mostly the subject he wants to talk about is Andy. At that point, a book came to my mind, The Great Gatsby. Nick talks about the life of Gatsby on his perspective, likes Red does in the Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption. As the narrator tells about the story of the others, between The Great Gatsby and Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption, there is another common characteristic that the story doesn't chronologically organized. It seems like spontanuously organized by the narrator. About that effect, I still remember the question that Mr. Yoon asked in the American Literature class, "Why the author chose the third person narrative and spontanuous development?" About that question, I still in the process of finding answer while reading the Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption... Next Journal will be continue...

-after reading 30 pages-


November 17th,
The most touching message in the movie and the book Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption is hope. Compare to the movie, it seemed like the book version of Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption is more effectively express the message. Differ to the book, the movie version definitely did not restrict on the Red's point of view. Scenes more likely to deliver the a little change of Red, influenced by the Andy through behaviors and sayings in the third person narrative. Except some Red's narratives the movie is not conveying the precise thoughts of Red and Andy. However in the case of book, through true impression of the Red on the Andy, the changes that Andy made convey directly. The last part of the book, 'I hope Andy is down there. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope' Although in the book, different from the movie, Red does not arrived Zihuatanejo yet the message, 'hope' deliver clearly to the readers. The story of prison life is somewhat gloomy and dark, but as the story of Andy and Red ended with the message hope, that is why Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption was considered as Spring in Different Seasons by Stephen King.

-after finished reading-

댓글 2개:

  1. Nice to see at least a little bit here, Hyeongbin. You are always welcome to write movie reviews if the reading was hard to keep up with. I know you guys are busy, but it doesn't require too much effort to write what you felt while watching a film. Good writing. You've improved since Junior composition;)

    답글삭제
  2. Mr. Garrioch,
    I'm sorry that I didn't post on something nice on my blog. Now, after submited my application on yesterday, I am trying to right all the workes I just delayed. Sorry about that and thank you!

    답글삭제